Nancy (Martinez) Preyor-Johnson
Preyor-Johnson worked for more than a decade as an award-winning newspaper journalist for publications across Texas. She is experienced in writing, editing, event planning, social media strategy and management, video production, media relations, marketing, public relations, internal corporate communications and more. Her passion is effective, creative communications.
Skilled in interviewing, researching, presentations, writing, editing, social media, web content, media relations, online web content, public speaking, internal and crisis communications, video production, multimedia, events, equally skilled in PC and MAC.
ExperienceConsultant/Self-employed, NPJ Communications San Antonio, TX — July 2011 to Current NPJ Communications was founded in 2011 by Nancy Preyor-Johnson, an award-winning journalist who naturally gravitated to the world of public relations and marketing. Preyor-Johnson has worked in corporate marketing and public relations. She’s partnered with agencies. She’s worked independently as a consultant to business owners. As a freelance writer and consultant, she is focused on getting the biggest return on investment for marketing and public relations efforts using best practices and strategic focus based on customized goals. Online Communications, Methodist Healthcare System San Antonio, TX — Jan. 2010-July 2011 Preyor-Johnson worked as part of the public relations and marketing team at Methodist Healthcare System–San Antonio’s largest and most preferred healthcare system. She helped build relationships with the local and national media and the community. She managed online content and assisted in the creative and editing of public relations and marketing campaigns for the system’s 24 facilities. Preyor-Johnson utilized tools such as social media sites Facebook, Twitter and YouTube where she helped create and execute policy and strategy and engage in conversation via posts, blogs and original online videos that she produced. She handled internal communication using intranet, email and original video and she planned and managed events for the community. Preyor-Johnson was part of the incident command team and help leaders craft their communication to employees and others. Reporter III, San Antonio Express-News San Antonio, TX— June 2006-December 2009 Researched and wrote about important social issues that were often featured on the front page. Some projects, including “Four Feet Under” earned state and national awards. Preyor-Johnson also wrote a popular parenting column for three years. Just before leaving the San Antonio Express-News to begin a new career in public relations and marketing, I covered the education beat. Investigative reporter, Corpus Christi Caller-Times Corpus Christi, TX—2003-2006 Produced investigative projects on myriad topics that often were played on the front page and earned major state awards. Work included projects about social issues, law enforcement, local and state government and business. Metro Desk Reporter (Intern), Houston Chronicle Houston, TX — Summer 2004 Awarded summer internship after a highly competitive, nationwide application process. Wrote regular general assignment reports and front-page enterprise articles; Earned “Best intern in Texas” award. Editor in Chief, The South Texan Kingsville, TX— 2002-2004 As an employee of Texas A&M University-Kingsville , managed a staff of college students in the weekly production of the South Texan student newspaper. During my tenure, redesigned newspaper, added color and enriched content, sharing the story of the university and its community.
- Texas A&M University-Kingsville, Texas — Bachelor’s Degree in Communications-Cum Laude- 2004
- Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, Texas—Associate’s Degree in Journalism, 2002
- National Association of Social Workers San Antonio TX Chapter 2009 Media Person of the Year
- San Antonio Association for Women in Communications 2008 Proliner Award for ” Four Feet Under”
- Society of Professional Journalists-Fort Worth Chapter, 2008 Second place Use of public records, investigative (shared with two other reporters)
- Texas APME, 2008 First place Specialty reporting and Honorable mention, Freedom of information Class AAAA
- Hearst Honors, 2007 First place Community journalism Class AAAA
- Healthy Families Children’s Advocate Award 2008
- Texas APME, 2007 First and Second place for Freedom of Information Class AAA
- Texas APME, 2006 Star Reporter of the Year and Star Investigative Reporter of the year Class AAA
- Press Club of Dallas Katie Awards, 2006 Award of Excellence for Best Business story and Award of Excellence Best Feature story
- Press Club of Dallas Katie Awards, 2005 Best Reporter Writing Portfolio and 2005 Award of Excellence Best Series
- Texas Daily Newspaper Association, Texas 2004 Intern of the Year
- Texas Intercollegiate Press Association, 2004 First place Series, and 2001 First place Feature Writing
- Texas Community College Journalism Association, 2000 Second place Investigative Writing and 2000 Third place Layout and Design.
- Del Mar College, Fall 2000 New Reporter of the Year